Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Good, the Bad and the Useless


What have you bought that you have found is COMPLETELY USELESS!

I’m sure we are all guilty of buying too much baby stuff, and inevitably there are things you have bought that you have not used. This might be because they weren’t right for your baby’s preferences or just because they were plain useless. Here are mine:

  1. MIRACLE BLANKET
    The amazing swaddle that not even Houdini’s baby could get out of. I bought it while I was pregnant on our little spree at Mothercare when the cost looked completely insignificant next to our pram and carseat purchase. Then I was blessed with a determined “arms out” baby who refused to be swaddled under any circumstances. Luckily it has a new home with baby Etta.
  2. MILK BAR NURSING PILLOW
    Again, bought while I was pregnant after a conversation with a French friend who said it was invaluable to avoid getting saggy boobs from breastfeeding. “I don’t want saggy boobs, get me a pillow!” I said, running for the internet. I think I have used it maybe twice, quite unsuccessfully, as it is so overstuffed that it would just slip out from under my arm and I’d use more muscle trying to keep it under the baby than just holding the baby. If I spend some time trying to squish the stuffing flatter it it might be ok for baby number two but at the moment it is just an odd shaped pillow on our couch.

I also wanted to have a special category of ‘Things They Told Me Would Be Useless But I Love’ because, much to the derision of my mother and stepmother-in-law, I bought a Tummy Tub (otherwise known as a really expensive bucket). Admittedly, tiny newborn Frankie didn’t really care for being shoved in a bucket however, self supporting 4month+ Frankie LOVES it (she loves pretending to be the little breech baby she was and sticking her feet next to her ears). It uses about 4 litres of water, I can lift it really easily, and I don’t have to worry about her slipping under the water since she physically can’t. 

What are your useless baby things? And do you have something you bought or were given that you didn’t think you would use and you do?

If you want to see the things that I actually do use I made a Pinterest Board for a pregnant friend of all our favorite things.

5 comments:

  1. All the breastfeeding paraphernalia I bought... A very expensive electric breast-pump that I used for maybe a week and then switched to bottle feeding!
    I bought tubes of lansolin, although I could still use them for any cuts/abrasions.

    + lots of baby clothes that baby never even wore because I found them hiding in the cupboard and they no longer fit!

    Also, have lost money buying an item online that was never delivered to me! $116 on a portacot that was never shipped and my countless emails to the company asking for a refund have been ignored..
    It sucks!

    I guess if you do buy things you don't end up using you can pass them on to someone else as a kind gesture :)

    Know anyone in need of an electric breast pump? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the clothes. So. Many. Clothes. I was given so many and I really only cycled through a few at a time because sometimes it's just easier to get her clothes off the line rather than hunt through drawers.

      I use my nipple cream as a great lip balm. It amazed me how quickly my body adapted so most of the tube has gone on my lips :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with the baby clothes thing Rachel.... the Kyneton salvos has scored brand new baby clothes and bunny rugs as I just had way too many of them.

    Let me guess you bought that portacot from one of the babiesrus or mumsnbubs massive stores online? They are all TERRIBLE and it seems to happen with everyone given the reviews about them online! I have a conspiracy theory that they are all run by the same business but they just created lots of different websites to take over the market. I had to threaten one of them with the ACCC to get my $400 nappy bag which was about 2 months late. Outrageous!

    Rachel - Alice E might still be in the market for an electric breast pump as she was talking about it a couple of weeks ago.

    OK. To answer the questions:
    The best things we bought soon after we got home with Atticus was the Aden and Anais Easy Swaddles. They look and feel beautiful, were light enough during the heatwave and they are so easy to use even when you're delirious at some god awful time of the morning.
    http://www.adenandanais.com.au/shop/easyswaddles.aspx

    The best thing I bought for myself (other than said $400 nappy bag!) was Moo Goo's mudder udder balm, it saved me when I was in hospital! I love everything that they sell including their nappy balm.

    The most randomest success has been my parents giving us blueys. You know when you go to the doctors and there is the blue thing that they put down on the bed for hygiene purposes? Well they gave us packets of them which we put under a towel so that Atticus can go nappy off and free when he's on the floor.... and they soak up everything!

    The still in the process of determining useless item is my hug-a-bub sling. It takes ages to tie it properly and it's also quite grabby on your clothes so can make the back of your top ride up leaving you cold. But I'll give it a few more tries so this is a watch this space!

    I also think that now that we have had babies that you become a much better present giver to your baby bearing friends because you know what you needed and appreciated. Books is my number 1 gift that we received for sure. Bonus points also to the bookshops that know you're giving it as a gift so provide an insert saying that it can be returned and exchanged for another book. The food drop offs were also amazing and I'm looking forward to doing a cook up for my friend who has 3 weeks till she's due!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, now I followed your Aden & Anais link. Online shopping is too easy (I should really just forget my paypal password).

      I hear you on the Moo Goo. I am using the Full Cream on my face through the weather change and I think it was careful daily application that totally got rid of any nappy rash Frankie had as a newborn.

      Persist with the hug-a-bub, I loved my wrap. Even wore it to Derby Day (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcy1ntqgSy1rj6w9go2_400.jpg)

      Delete
  3. Oh god, add me to the list of breastfeeding paraphernalia! I'm the somewhat sheepish owner of not one but two electric pumps - the very swish Medela Swing and the even swisher Symphony (for my perhaps somewhat misguided mission of "exclusively pumping"). Anway, needless to say that after 6 weeks of pumping, washing, sterilising & damn near nervous breakdown-ing the pumps & all of their various bits are sitting around in their "stylish travel bags" gathering dust. As is the breast feeding pillow & it's two interchangeable covers my sister made me.

    I totally wanted a Tummy Tub but my mum declared it a terrible idea & insisted she buy me a more traditional baby bath where they recline - although it did come with a hammocky thing in it. Aubrey hated it hammock or not & in the end we started getting into the big bath with her & she loves it.

    Best things we bought were gnarly velcro swaddles to trap our Houdini and our Angelcare Sound & Movement monitor. I was really torn about buying it cos I didn't know if it'd make me more or less paranoid but it's definitely made us more comfortable about her being in her own room especially since she's been sleeping on her tummy. Oh and my 400 china cheapies cloth nappies... naturally!

    ReplyDelete